UPRAA develops and conducts programs and initiatives for the benefit of our membership, and supports the educational goals of the University of Puerto Rico educational system, which currently includes 11 campuses: Aguadilla, Arecibo, Bayamón, Carolina, Ciencias Médicas, Cayey, Humacao, Mayaguez, Ponce, Río Piedras, and Utuado. UPRAA is organized for charitable, educational, cultural and civic purposes; and is a non-partisan and non-sectarian organization. UPRAA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity and diversity in its Board of Directors, Membership, volunteers and programs.
UPRAA does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical challenge, age, or status as a protected veteran.
The main purposes of UPRAA are as follows:
- Support and promote the educational goals of the University of Puerto Rico educational system in the Continental United States and abroad by:
- Building an organization in which University of Puerto Rico Alumni and Friends, located in the Continental United States and abroad, converge in fraternal union to foster common interests.
- Conducting educational and networking programs for the benefit of the UPR Alumni and Friends community in the Continental United States and abroad.
- Supporting charitable, scholarship and educational programs.
- Serving as role models for the Puerto Rican youth.
- Develop an appreciation and interest in the Puerto Rican culture and stimulate cultural and educational exchanges in local communities.
- Stimulate a more direct and active participation of the University of Puerto Rico Alumni and Friends community in cultural, civic, social, and charitable activities within and outside the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- Assist and welcome UPR Alumni who have recently arrived to the Continental United States in the adaptation process to their new environment.